Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Energy

“How sad is it that I’m too tired to have sex? That’s just wrong.”

That’s what Dee said to me last night, and it got me to thinking… I eat pretty healthy, I take a walk at lunch, I don’t drink a lot of caffeine, all the usual things you’re supposed to do to feel naturally energized. Dee does all these things, too. I don’t have trouble waking up in the morning, and can say that (most days, at least) I don’t feel particularly tired during the day.

And yet, most nights, by the time I climb into bed, I’m fairly wiped out. When she said what she said, I knew exactly how she felt. It’s not a lack of interest – it’s just that, at the end of the day, it’s so damn nice to just lay there, relaxed and comfortable, and drift off (even if it takes a bit of time for the drifting to happen). I think Dee feels the same way a lot of the time (though probably not as often as I do).

It’s not a big thing, this end-of-day energy drain… nothing that causes me worry or concern, but there are times when it makes me feel a little old. I remember my younger days, when running for weeks at a time on four hours of sleep, fast food, and 2-liters of Mountain Dew (more often than not, laced with pints of Southern Comfort) was a normal routine.

I’m not looking to regain that kind of insanity, but the high-energy point in my day comes sometime mid-morning these days. It’d be nice if I could trade some of my useless work productivity, and transfer that energy to more noble pursuits… like providing Dee with an energetic evening fuck.

That’s all I’m saying.

I’m considering some options that may (or may not) increase my evening energy levels – things like revving up through the use of energy drinks – having a Red Bull (the sugar free version) or whatever else is out there (even just a good dose of the caffeine-laced Crystal Light drinks) with dinner. Though I do worry that this idea will lead to sleepless nights and miserable mornings – I’m not a kid anymore.

I’m also wondering if I should get up a little earlier, and have a better breakfast at home (rather than a quick bite at my desk at work). In addition, I’m thinking a time-shift in my evening might be worth a try – staying up a bit longer, especially in the summertime, when it stays light longer anyways, and doing something productive with the extra hour. It seems counterproductive to suggest that less sleep would lead to more energy, but, historically, that’s the way my metabolism has worked.

I could just eat oysters. But I tried them once, and didn’t particularly like them.

No comments: