Thursday, March 5, 2009

Busy, Busy Times

Wow… what a busy week – for both of us.

We took a picture to post today (HNT)… and the fact that it isn’t here yet tells the tale of our lives of late. I came up with the idea for the picture last Thursday, but it took until Tuesday to squeeze in enough time to actually get it taken. And since then, there hasn’t been a half-chance of getting it off the camera and onto the blog yet.

Maybe tonight? Who knows?

For me, the worst thing about weeks like this isn’t the stress – I can deal with stress pretty well. It isn’t even the high volume of obligations that sometimes pile on all at once – I’m pretty efficient at keeping up with the things that are important in life, no matter how high the inbox of life gets. It may take me years to get around to doing the touch ups in the interior painting department, but when the headlight goes out on the car, I’m all over it… before I get pulled over for it.

What gets to me is the frustration – how it has a snowball/avalanche way of building upon itself and compounding everything else in life.

I’ve never really understood why things work this way. Normally, life goes along pretty smoothly, but when something at work has you particularly on edge (frustrated)… THAT’S when the batteries on the remote go out, and there’s no fresh ones in the drawer, and when looking in the drawer, THAT’S when the drawer fails, and you end up dumping everything out onto the floor, and when you go to get the broom out of the closet to clean that up, THAT’S when the closet door handle comes off in your hand…

Frustration has a way of taking you from “Ok… life isn’t great, but it’s still pretty good..” to throwing your shoe out the window just because it’s got a knot in the laces (and chances are you’ll forget to open the window first, thus compounding your frustration even further!).

And then, at the end of the day, when we can finally sit down together for the first time, the fatigue hits, and neither Dee nor I want to get up again.

Worst of all, time becomes oddly arbitrary. At any given moment the day seems to be crawling past, and yet before I know it, it’s Thursday already, and I haven’t fulfilled any of our weekly obligations (as set forth in the Rules).

I just keep telling myself... Tomorrow is Friday. Tomorrow is Friday...

3 comments:

Hubman said...

And thank god that tomorrow is Friday! I know how you feel!

By the way, I found you because my wife (another suburban mom) has a link to Angie and Mike, who in turn mentioned your blog in a recent post. So I wandered over here, so to speak. And what do I find? Not only a blog I'm gonna have to come back to, but I'm on your blog roll! AND, it's my old blogspot blog, which means you've been following me for at least 2 months!

Nice to meet ya! [Now update my link, would ya? *wink*]

Joanna Cake said...

It's funny, I went to see Ruf last weekend and for the first time ever, we didn't have sex on the Friday night when I arrived... or the Saturday night! I was just too exhausted. Sometimes, the week's treadmill just leaves you drained so that it's just about snuggling up and expressing love in a very conservative way. Sure, he got a nice bj on Sunday morning to make up for it :P

The Daree (or "Dee") said...

I can't believe you found time to post! I KNOW it will not happen for me today, but we'll see about the weekend.

Pretty soon, things will settle back down. I hope.